Tuesday, September 13, 2011

to the wild country

For our one year anniversary we spent a short get-a-way in an inn hidden in the mountains. For living here a year now and only being an hour and a half away from one of the greatest mountain ranges in the United States, I can't believe we haven't spent more time hiking around here. We spent the night at Freestone Inn in Mazama, Washington. It is right at the base of the North Cascades National Park. In the winter time, right outside of the Inn is where they pick up Heli-skiers to ski the Cascades. Yes, Grant's eyes I think almost popped out of his head when he heard this. It is a beautiful inn tucked away in the mountains next to a small lake. What a great place to get away from everything!

On Monday we hiked the aptly named "Cutthroat Mountain trail." It was a two mile hike in to an alpine lake followed by a three and a half mile hike up to the peak.  After a considerable effort, and twenty plus switchbacks, we reached the peak... and realized we were really only half way done with our hiking for the day...  But the view was worth the effort and the trip down was much easier than the one up.  It was a good day, and we slept well that night for sure!



{Liberty Bell Mountain}


{Side view of Liberty Bell}


{cuuuuute}


{view from our inn}



{trees}


{peaceful little alpine lake along our trail to the top of those mountains you see ahead}


{I'm pretty sure I forgot all the pain I felt getting to the top once I finally got there}


{ "Now these are mountains" }

1 comment:

  1. Every time I climb a mountain (and it doesn't happen nearly as often as I'd like), I am struck when I get to the top by the thought, "I know why they do it." (referring to every crazy person who has ever climbed Everest or K2 or hiked to the North Pole). And for a moment I think I could be crazy like that too... if I didn't have children, and a husband, and dinner to cook and laundry to fold, and books to write... :)

    ReplyDelete